Just for fun.
I’ve been working on a superhero commission all weekend. While the design we went with was ultimately different, I thought this unused design was pretty damn fun:
I showed it to my buddy/fellow artist Cody, and he liked it too. Enough so, that he took his mad digital coloring skills to it. If you’d like to see the color version, by the talented Mr. Hagman, check it out here.
Playing with skeletons.
With all the robot-themed work going on these days, I’ve felt very starved for the spacesuit stuff that I was working on earlier in the year. So, here’s a fun one I did to just let my creativity wander around for a bit. Whether it was Ghost Rider, He-Man, BPRD, or an old Scooby-Doo episode, there’s always been something both terrifying and amazingly cool about the floating skull character. I love any design with that particular mystery-feature. I also love the idea of putting it in a spacesuit. Maybe it’s a ghost and the suit keeps the whole thing together, maybe the suit is containing something, keeping it from getting out, or maybe it’s just some awesome piece of technology putting on a show or hiding the real wearer.
The Lost Edition
Here’s the end-result of my custom remake of an old Nancy Drew cover. I didn’t try to replicate the illustration skills of those talented cover artists before me, but tried to put a new spin on an old concept and do it in my style. I’m pretty happy with the result. Although, I do wish the composition was a little bit closer to the initial sketch/study.
As you can probably tell that, after finishing it, I traveled back in time and left it in a public library, just so it would get that worn-in, well-loved, dog-earred look to it. Sweet.
Here’s a sketch for a commission I did last week. The commission was for a new cover to an old book, one of the Nancy Drew mysteries from the 40’s. I’ve never read any of those books, but I think the client valued that, and wanted meet to produce something similar to the old covers that had come before, in my style, though.
It was an interesting project. I felt challenged by the genre, as I normally work in the world of sci-fi or fantasy, and I suddenly found myself trying to clearly portray hairdos from a log-ego era. Also, I found myself in the situation where the first-pass sketch, shown here, kind of nailed the composition I was going for, but didn’t translate exactly to the final piece, which I might put up at a later date.
Ultimately, it was a lot of fun, I I put far more time and effort into the end product than I meant to, just because I was enjoying myself.