Here’s the end-result of my custom remake of an old Nancy Drew cover. I didn’t try to replicate the illustration skills of those talented cover artists before me, but tried to put a new spin on an old concept and do it in my style. I’m pretty happy with the result. Although, I do wish the composition was a little bit closer to the initial sketch/study.
As you can probably tell that, after finishing it, I traveled back in time and left it in a public library, just so it would get that worn-in, well-loved, dog-earred look to it. Sweet.
Here’s a sketch for a commission I did last week. The commission was for a new cover to an old book, one of the Nancy Drew mysteries from the 40’s. I’ve never read any of those books, but I think the client valued that, and wanted meet to produce something similar to the old covers that had come before, in my style, though.
It was an interesting project. I felt challenged by the genre, as I normally work in the world of sci-fi or fantasy, and I suddenly found myself trying to clearly portray hairdos from a log-ego era. Also, I found myself in the situation where the first-pass sketch, shown here, kind of nailed the composition I was going for, but didn’t translate exactly to the final piece, which I might put up at a later date.
Ultimately, it was a lot of fun, I I put far more time and effort into the end product than I meant to, just because I was enjoying myself.